Old January 30th 19, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Is black clothing compulsory?

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 10:37:05 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:03:42 +0000
GB wrote:

There are loads of drivers who are worse than me, and in 2016 3500 **
cyclists were killed or seriously injured. I cycle occasionally, and
I take all possible precautions. Is that victim blaming or simply
common sense?

Be careful with "common sense" - turns out it's not very common, and
sometimes not as sensible as it seems. Did you know, for example, that
cyclists who wear helmets can be at greater risk than those who don't?

'Common sense' says I should use the road through town rather than the bypass.
This is because most people think the biggest danger to cyclists is being hit from behind by a large vehicle. In reality it is 'conflict points' that kill cyclists where motor vehicles and cyclists cross paths.