Old January 24th 21, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Department of "well, duh!"

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 13:30:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

BTW, it seems that when the pins have failed, it's been by bending
enough to pop loose. Last year, to prevent pins rusting, I bought a pack
of brass pins. Turns out their metal is thicker and much more resistant
to bending. I've not had one pop loose yet.

The downside is the thicker pin is much harder to push through denim.
But I think it would be fine for sweat pants fabric.

I came home with both pins today -- switching to brass did the trick.

I noticed that I frequently grabbed where the pin is when lifting my
right ankle over the saddle; that's probably how the steel pin got
bent.

One side of the old-jail steps was clear, and I did three laps before
going on to the courthouse. There is a doormat at the top of the
steps; I had thought that that door was nailed shut. It does have
hinges, but no sign of a knob or any other way to open it from the
outside.

So what does an emergency exit need with a doormat? Come St.
Patrick's day, I can go into the museum and ask, if California has an
unprecedented attack of common sense and doesn't spread the new
strains around. (Alas, New York is even crazier.)

I climbed the east steps of the courthouse six times instead of three
because I couldn't get to the sourth steps without passing too close
to the protesters. The were very polite, simply standing silent and
motionless, holding signs that said "pray for an end to abortion". I'm
praying that they somehow avoid the trap that the temperance movement
fell for.

But it's soooo tempting, and looks soooo quick and soooo easy . . .
and would lead, if successful, to aborting all children who are
inconvenient to the state. Any mother who objects is obviously in
need of a guardian to make decisions for her.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net