Old July 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default The doping stuff makes it hard to be a fan

On Jul 6, 8:24 pm, Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:
just bob schreef:

But I am so ****ed about the doping thing last year

It has always been there. It is just that pro cycling is so crap at
containing the massively increased media attention. I say, ditch the IOC
and its WADA charter. No cycling at the Olympics is better than this drama.

All I want to see is great duels and honest suffering by simple men on
simple machines, in beautiful landscapes. Dope doesn't change a thing.

--
E. Dronkert

In my opinion, there is less doping than 10 years ago. In particular,
take the 1997 Tour de France. One of my biggest impressions from that
race were the leadout by Ullrich and Riis for Zabel on the stage
preceding the first big mountain stage. I can't imagine GC contenders
doing that these days. The other one was the Festina guys toying with
Ullrich on the descents. No one is sure about Ullrich, but all the
Festina riders have admitted they were on EPO that year, and, unlike
current dopers who appear to be doing it on their own, the doping was
organised and they had a real drug culture, that is, taking drugs as a
reward and not just to enhance performance.

-ilan