Old July 6th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Doug Taylor

Default The doping stuff makes it hard to be a fan

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:54:09 -0700, "just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom
wrote:

From what little I read, my impression is Lance believes the testing system
is flawed. Yet he did not come out to support Floyd, as far as I can tell. I
read in the paper earlier this year that Floyd had that thing to raise money
in the Bay area during the Tour of California and Lance was not there to
support him. I drew my own conclusions, and no one in the papers every
seemed to put that together. I feel, if he thought Floyd was clean, I think
Lance should have been the #1 witness. I think the whole country would have
stood up for Floyd if Lance had gotten on the public bandwagon. So WTF? You
are either passionate about your sport and believe or you don't. Something
stinks here.

Lance turns on anyone who leaves his team without "permission", Kevin
Livingston and Floyd being two examples. Lance would not support
Floyd personally because he hates his guts, and vice versa. Lance
would support Floyd as far as the testing because Omerta says all
riders stick together, deny that they dope, blame the system, and
don't rat anybody out.

What stinks is the circumstantial probability is that Lance doped as
much as any other rider of his era. Which makes the playing field of
his achievements level, but does not say much as to his honesty or
integrity, or for that matter, that of the sport.

What doesn't matter for spectators is that so long as the playing
filed is level, then any bike race, from one day classics to stage
races to grand tours, are exciting as hell to follow.

But it is painful to watch someone like a born again cleanie, David
Millar, with his perfect form, not being an odds on bet to win a TT or
Prologue anymore.