Old July 13th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Unusual Cycling Hazard

On Jul 13, 6:44*am, Peter Cole wrote:
On 7/12/2011 3:18 AM, Tēm ShermĒn °_° wrote:

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CUgUhu5Vd0&feature=player_embedded#a....

So much for Mopar quality.

It's not all that unusual a hazard. Crap is always falling off/out of
vehicles. I was following a guy on a long descent who dropped a
driveshaft. He never noticed. This guy probably forgot to tighten
something, that was probably his wrench several miles back.

I mountain bike on a trail that runs at the bottom of a ravine, whose
top is the shoulder of an interstate. The debris at the bottom has
apparently been collecting for decades. The amount of crap is amazing,
and that's just the stuff that made it over the guard rail. A modern-day
midden.

There is a place on HWY 18 in a heavily forested area on the way out
to the Oregon coast where there is a persistent pot hole. I hit that
pot hole, and it popped-off my hub cap -- which rolled off in to the
forest. I stopped my car and went hunting for my hub cap. As it
turned out, just beyond the road edge, the forest dropped down a
hillside in to a small ravine filled with ferns . . . and hubcaps.
There must have been hundreds. It was like some forest gnome hubcap
kingdom. Around here somewhere. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4279167...n/photostream/

-- Jay Beattie.