Old December 9th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Q: regarding straight pull hubs

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:53:46 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:20:40 AM UTC-8, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi All,

Interesting to note, I have been away for a number of years and the posters I see today are the same as back then! The more things change...

Interested in building a pair of rim brake Powertap Enve wheels into a disc brake wheelset but not sure if the original evenly spaced rim is appropriate for a hub designed for straight pull spokes (different spoke crossing layout/drilling, perhaps?).

I want to use this powertap hub: https://powermetercity.com/product/p...rear-disc-hub/

TIA

Sconnie

Straight pull hubs and standard rim drillings are common. The Easton Vault hub is an example. https://tinyurl.com/scshrsa I don't think the Powertap would be any different. Some builders mix up the lacing so it's non-mirror image to resist disc braking forces, but I don't. I build discs the same way as I build any other wheel. I don't see any reason why you can't use your existing Enve rim -- assuming the correct number of spoke holes for the rim.

-- Jay Beattie.

In general I would hesitate to have straight pull spokes on a disk brake bike. All of he angles are wrong.