Old May 3rd 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

DougC wrote:

I don't wear a helmet when riding either bike (a recumbent and a
crank-forward) because neither of them can be flipped over forward by
hard use of the front brake. As such, the likelihood of a serious head
impact in a wreck is much reduced.

I don't wear a helmet either, but do you honestly think that's the
primary mechanism by which cyclists hit their heads? If you are
violently unseated by a motor vehicle that's on a substantially
different trajectory, any part of you is likely to get bashed on
something hard, regardless how far forward your feet are at the moment
of impact. If you ride low enough that you won't take a trip over the
car in the process, it seems like that would make it *more* likely
you'd get your melon squashed, not less.

In my observation, hand and wrist injures are relatively common in
headers off of normal bikes. Concussions really aren't.

Chalo