Old October 14th 03, 07:45 PM
John Rees

Default Speedplay VS. Dura Ace????

"GS" wrote in message =
news:Q0Xib.19231$hp5.15295@fed1read04...
| Speedplays:
| More float
| Lighter
| Two-sided entry
| Many consider it to be among the easiest pedals for entry and exit
|=20
| Dura-Ace:
| Bigger platform
|=20
| " why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???"
| -a few grams is inconsequential compared to the other factors. =
Some
| people feel they really need to have a large platform pedal, thereby =
ruling
| out the Speedplays.
| As far as what the pros ride, they mostly ride what their sponsors =
tell them
| to ride. Often the best products out there aren't those that the pros =
are
| using.
| If I were you I'd ignore the weight difference and focus on the other
| aspects.
| Check out RoadBikeReview.com for more opinions on the different =
pedals.
|=20
| Check out the Coombe pedals for another alternative that may have even =
more
| advantages to both.
|=20
| "Ryan Bates" wrote in message
| m...
| Looking for opinions on speedplay versus Shimano dura ace pedals. =
i'm
| about a 1:00 40k bike rider for triathlon (5'11, 160lbs)with a =
cadence
| of about 90rpm, and want to know which to buy. speedplay is lighter
| and has more float, but seems like a lot of pros are going the dura
| ace route. why would you pick dura ace over the lighter =
speedplays???
| (let's pretend price doesn't matter). thanks!

Also, I find the DuraAce cleats more walkable than Look or SpeedPlay. =
The new Shimano SPD-L cleats have small outriggers that provide better =
ground contact.

If you will be having to walk more than a few feet in your cleated =
shoes, this may also be a factor in your decision.
JohnRees