Old October 15th 03, 12:04 AM
Mack Mad

Default Speedplay VS. Dura Ace????

"Mike Lana" wrote in message
om...
I do not recomend speedplay for those with limeted riding experience.
I trained about 60-100 miles per week four 4 years before I switched
to speedplays. I started gaining some bad habits because the float
allowed me to rotate my heel in. I had a major knee injury that ended
the season. Of course I was the one with the bad form but the pedals
allowed the range of movement . Since then I have stuck with Time(my
favorite but expensive) and Look pedals. They force me to have better
form. I have not had an injury since.
Good Luck
Mike

(Ryan Bates) wrote in message

om...
Looking for opinions on speedplay versus Shimano dura ace pedals. i'm
about a 1:00 40k bike rider for triathlon (5'11, 160lbs)with a cadence
of about 90rpm, and want to know which to buy. speedplay is lighter
and has more float, but seems like a lot of pros are going the dura
ace route. why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???
(let's pretend price doesn't matter). thanks!

Is it just me or does this argument make no sense? More float isn't going to
cause knee injuries - that is one of the reasons Look pedals went to the Red
Arc cleat and the float. If you are locked in a bad position and can't
rotate injuries would appear due to the improper setup. Seems to me the
float would prevent this.

I would have to know more to even begin to believe that Speedplay's would
cause injury.