Old June 9th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/8/2011 7:50 AM, DougC wrote:
On 6/7/2011 8:34 PM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 6/7/2011 6:56 PM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. �Handling is standard recumbent trike. �Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.

Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made
kayaks
of recent vintage.

You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.

I expect that the composite kayaks are slightly lighter, but more
fragile?

Usually lighter, compared to a poly boat the same rough dimensions.

Two other reasons they are desirable is 1) the surface finish is
smoother, which some people claim makes a difference in boat speed. 2)
the composite boats are more fragile, but are also much more repairable.

There are sold HDPE "welding kits" for plastic boats, with a few sticks
of the same plastic and instructions on how to apply heat with a heat
gun or soldering/heating iron.

...one example, with pics of use:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

(note that I have not had to use any of these kits yet.... the
urethanesupply kit page above, I just found on Google)

The HDPE plastic does not re-liquify when heated however, it just gets
really soft & tacky. The repair is not as strong as the original
undamaged plastic.

Also, poorly-designed poly boats can develop stress cracks at given
locations and if these are patched with a welding kit, they may still
crack out when the boat is used.

My Rotovelo has a steel cruciform frame, so the body is not a structural
member. Composite velomobiles are often monocoque or semi-monocoque.
Both end up weighing about the same, but the paint on the composite
bodies is easily damaged.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.