Old May 4th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Anyone tried glass reinforced packing tape as rim tape?

I'm having a problem with rim tape for my Velocity Aero rims and tight
fitting covers. The rims have a very shallow well.

I've tried two fabric tapes:

Schwalbe - it slides around and I end up with punctures on the edges of
the hole. It dips into each hole and looks close to being cut through
around the hole edge.

Zefal - is strong, thick and has sharp edges. The thickness makes it
even harder to fit or remove the 28-451 Stelvios.

How about cross weave glass reinforced packing tape as it is thin,
strong and cheaper than rim tape. Has anyone got any experience of using
it as rim tape?

The link below shows only over wide for my purpose, others have 12mm
width, but this one shows the material better:

http://www.seton.co.uk/perl/product.pl?productid=1574

There is a (probably superior) 3M product (8959).
--

Martyn Aldis, e-mail