Old February 4th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Greenwood

Default Hyperglide cassette on Hyperglide-C freehub body

On Jan 31, 11:28 pm, "Stephen Greenwood"
wrote:
I've got a worn 7-speed Hyperglide-C cassette that was used on a
Hyperglide-C style freehub body, where the splines don't quite go all
the way to the outer edge of the freehub body. I'd like to replace it
with a cassette from a bike that I recently found in a dumpster. That
cassette is a Hyperglide unit, found mounted on an older Hyperglide
freehub body where the splines do go all the way to the edge.

The problem is that the smallest cog has no splines to engage. Sheldon
Brown explains (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html) how one can add
a 1mm spacer to use a Hyperglide-C cassette on the older Hyperglide
body. Since I want to do the opposite (Hyperglide cassette on
Hyperglide-C body), it seems like a -1 mm spacer would be required.
Those don't exist of course, but it happens that my cassette already
has some spacers. If I replace the existing spacers with one fewer mm
worth of spacers, will that work?

Thanks,
Stephen Greenwood

For the benefit of archive-searchers, the answer is yes. I finally
obtained the proper spacer and tried it.