Old July 17th 17, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 20:35:08 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:43:23 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:
Canada started making their money out of plastic. Works the charm for a
temporary patch in a slit tire.

I guess any inflationary currency will work.
(Sorry, but I just couldn't resist).

Lol. Well Ben Franks used to work as well as George Washingtons for that
matter. But the plastic pictures of someone else's queen seem to work
pretty well.

I just discovered that "plastic money" refers to credit cards, while
"polymer banknotes" are what is used for patching tires:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_banknote
I must lead a sheltered life. I've never seen a polymer banknote.

Looks like the queen is currently on the $20 banknote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=canada+polymer+banknote&tbm=isch
Too bad it has a Norway maple leaf on the front, instead of Canada
maple leaf:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-s-new-20-bill-at-centre-of-maple-leaf-flap-1.1343767

Well they have an English queen, why not a Norwegian maple leaf..

The lowest denomination is $5,
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/polymer/
which is still a rather expensive tire patch, unless you cut it into
patch size pieces.

Only recommended as a temporary measure to get you home. I'm talking about
a sleeve inside the tire to keep the tube from popping through the slit in
the tire.

Looks like bicycle riding in Ottowa is ummm... thrilling:
"Cyclist survives dramatic collision after running red light" (0:25)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cyclist-struck-dramatic-video-1.4207758
No helmet.

Saw that. Someone here recently claimed that a cyclist hitting a car that
ran a stop was at fault because it was the cyclist that hit the car. So I
guess in this case, the car would have been at fault?

--
duane