Old July 17th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 07:36:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:50:00 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 18:40:27 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Order some larger patches?
http://www.gemplers.com/tube-repair

I dunno about that. Something like this 2" x 6" patch?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/9D/Rema-6L-x-2W-Oval-Tube-Patch
It requires cold vulcanizing fluid 7A or G50T.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/7A
http://www.gemplers.com/product/G50T
At 10 patches for $25 plus chemicals, talc, shipping, and taxes,
methinks using $5 Canadian polymer banknotes might be cheaper.

Notice that the instructions at:
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/tube-repair.htm
are for an automobile tire inner tube. For bicycle tubes, methinks it
might be best to apply the rather large patch on a rounded mandrel
with a diameter slightly smaller than the bicycle tire, instead of the
traditional flat surface. That should prevent any wrinkling,
stretching, or excess tension on the patch when installed and
inflated.

Has my memory gotten that bad or wasn't the point of this discussion
about tears in the sidewalls of tires and not large tears in tubes?

I read it as fixing the thick expensive inner tube. The original
question:

was unclear as what was being patched. The mention of leaking air was
sufficient to convince me the question was about patching the tube,
especially since patching the side wall of the tire is not
recommended.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D