Old October 5th 03, 02:34 PM
Carl Barrentine

Default New Torker: My first attempts trying to ride...

Cubby wrote:

JUST KEEP AT IT. It's just going to take a bit of time for the neural
connections between your butt, your brain, and your legs to figure out
what needs to happen....I'd suggest taping the front and back of the
seat to protect it a bit especially if you're practicing on asphalt or
concrete....I found an
empty parking lot that had quite a few light poles. Once I started
getting in a few revolutions of freedom and UPD'd, the next light post
was only a few yards away. You will hit the ground a lot. And in the
most unexpected, ungraceful ways. Wear at least a helmet and wrist
guards.

Cubby-- Thanks for the swell advice! I guess it does take some time
to 'rewire' the ol' neuromuscular physiology for pedalin' a unicycle.
The light pole notion seems like a doable idea! I'll give it a try
afetr a few more days grapplin' with the McKinley chainlink fence at
the local tennis court! I'll tape-up the plastic on the seat
too--smart idea! Finally, I purchased a set of used wristguards, and
elbow and knee pads at a local thrift store. Wearing that gear
(including my bicycle helmet), I feel like a gladiator. Learning to
ride a uni must be 'bout as abusive as playin' rugby in the Walmart
parking lot! Thanks for your advice, Cubby! --carl