Old November 23rd 18, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default -30C Freehub lube?

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 1:09:29 AM UTC-5, Tosspot wrote:
On 11/22/18 10:14 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
If a person is riding their bicycle in -30C (without the windchill
factored in to even lower temperature) and they have some
intermittent cases where the freehub freely turns once pedaling
starts again after coasting; would they be advised t o remove the
grease or oil inside the freehub body entirely so that that
lubrication does not freeze and cause the unwanted freewheeling?

My guess is it isn't the oil, it's water that's freezing causing the
problem. It's happened to me in the past. Strangely, leaving it out
works better as the ice is displaced never to return, but if it warms
up, the water pools, and refreezes again. Just my guess.

That's what I'm thinking too and that the water you mentioned is condensation. I'd like to figure out a way to stop the freewheeling from happening as it's annoying and dangerous plus I don't want it to become a permanent thing whilst I'm 20 or 30 kilometers from home and on country/backroads that do not have public transportation.

Cheers