Old November 23rd 18, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default -30C Freehub lube?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 20:04:35 -0800, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Unfortunately the bicycle lives inside an apartment when not in use
outside. I think that the condensation might be part of the culprit for
the intermittent freewheeling. Fortunately it goes away after a few
strokes but if there's a pause in the pedaling motion such as stopping
for a red light to turn green, the freewheeling might happen when the
bicycle is tried to be put in motion again = not the safest thing to
have happen.

YMMV, IME with the old clusters, it was a case of failing paul springs.
It was a knock about bike from scrounged/given stuff and the paul springs
were splitting longitudinally so there was a delay in opening after being
held in compression when stopped. I just put is down to lack of quality
control in yumcha manufacturing. Sticking to known brands hasn't seen it
recurr.

I suck at "track stands' so I appreciate your dilemma there.