Old November 27th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Default Red Menace 36 update

Yet another year goes by, and yet another bump!

Geared riding has really taken off in the past year or so... Gigahats
off to Unisk8r for making something so awesome... it's a pretty huge
contribution. Even if it's only one, it proves it's totally possible and
doable... gives us something to look forward to.

I've always heard stories about the Red Menace, but for some reason I
never found this thread until now. It's quite breathtakingly beautiful!!

Would it be possible to make it be able to disengage the jackshaft
drivetrain and re-engage a 1-1 lock-in to make the cranks lock directly
to the hub, to enable shifting between 1:1 and whatever gear ratio is
selected? Seeing how the Schlumpf hub shifts its drive plate thing back
and forth between the planet carrier and the hub housing, I don't see
why it wouldn't be possible with this design, either, but I could be
missing something important. To make this shiftable back to 1:1 would be
absolutely epic.

And UniSk8r, though I don't know your name (my name is Chuck, btw ),
would it be possible for me to come to Redmond some time to ride your
unicycle? I don't know offhand when I'd be free to come up, but I
really, really, REALLY would like to, if you'd let me. I've been wanting
for quite some time now to ride something geared higher than 1.5, and
this looks, quite frankly, amazing.

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!