Old November 27th 08, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
aigle_de_la_route

Default [punctures] Um, Am I missing Something ..?

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

aigle_de_la_route wrote:

.. got my second puncture in as many weeks this morning.

Anyway, I dig out a tube that's been lying in a drawer for a few months,
and note with dismay that it's 700 * 28/38c whereas the one in the wheel
is 700 * 35. Is that likely to be a problem?

No, 35 is between 28 and 38 so no problemo. Inner tubes are elastic
and fit a range of sizes.

Cool.

But the real question is: am I missing something concerning removal of a
tube? I don't have tyre irons so use teaspoons. Could I get the small
handle end of the spoons under the tyre rim?

Make sure that the tyre is loose with the beads in the centre of the
rim, then you will be able to get the spoon^H^H^H^H lever under the
bead.

is it always that way when you have to change a puncture ?

The fairy always strikes at the most inconvenient time... :-(

OK so now, inner tube fitted, and **** me, can I get that tyre back on
the rim?? I've just destroyed four spoons ('destroyed' is a misnomer,
as I can bend 'em back into shape), and there's a three or four inch
section of the bead that will NOT go back onto the rim...

--
aigle_de_la_route
Surly Long Haul Trucker