Old October 22nd 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

Default Finish line vs. Shimano brake oil?

On Oct 22, 1:33*pm, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

I'm not dreadfully familiar with the application, but
if the seals, gaskets, & o-rings are oil-safe (I would
tend to assume so from the mineral oil bit) you could
try something like mobil-1 0W-20, or even just some
nice, thin sewing machine oil (should be $8 to $13 a
gallon at any industrial sewing machine shop).

You could also do what the old Chevrolet truck manuals
suggested and mix 10% kerosene in your oil for winter.
We were crazy back in the 1940s like that.