Old June 10th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Protecting yourself

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:48:16 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 08:03:59 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 06/06/2019 8:54 p.m., John B. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 23:12:18 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:48:44 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/6/2019 8:54 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 06.06.2019 um 14:14 schrieb Duane:

You can listen or talk on a radio without looking at it.Â* Same with a
phone.Â*Â* Especially if you have some hands free device as most cars
do now.
But you can?t text without looking at it.

Well actually you can send text by voice using Siri on iPhone and
there's probably some app that reads it.

Siri can do that as well
https://www.dummies.com/consumer-ele...r-texts-aloud/

(and with the appropriate in-car integration, without needing to touch
the home button).

I have sat in a car as a passenger when the driver was texted by his
wife and sent an answer via Siri.Â* Needed a few repetitions to get the
right text but still simpler than ringing her to pass the estimated
arrival time.

And it's now so important to tell one's arrival time?

I can accept it may be important in some few instances- perhaps "I'll be
there before the baby is born!"

But from certain friends, I now get texts saying "We're almost there,
see you in five minutes." That's over-communication. We shouldn't need
minute by minute reports.

Strange that in all my years I cannot remember an instance when it was
important for me to notify someone when, exactly, I would arrive. And
yes, there were innumerable instances when I was required to be at a
certain place at a certain time - "Be home at supper time or your
father will see to you!", or "If you aren't here for roll call you
will get a week of extra duty".

Sad that no one gives a **** when you show up.

In short this irrational desire to be certain that you inform the
universe of every detail of your life is just that, irrational.

You should talk to my wife.

Or perhaps not. Perhaps it is simply evidence of an overweening
arrogance that you are so important that everyone must be interested
in your minute by minute activities.

Or perhaps what’s not important for you is not not important for the rest
of the world.

And when did all this become so important? And why now when just a
few short years ago no one was frantically advising the world that
they would arrive in just three short minutes? Or perhaps 2 minutes
and 59 seconds?
--
cheers,

John B.

Who said anything about 3 short minutes? Maybe you're replying to
Frank's straw man?

Ah, you didn't read the part where I said " I cannot remember an
instance when it was important for me to notify someone when,
exactly, I would arrive"? And now I'm emphasizing the statement.
--
cheers,

John B.

Yesterday I drove back from Sacramento in killer traffic stop and go over half of it and my wife had an appointment to meet her niece for a movie. So she had to keep her apprised as she was waiting out in front of the theater..