Old December 15th 19, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike adjustments

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 7:20:01 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 15/12/19 2:06 pm, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 6:46:36 PM UTC-8, James wrote:

A phobia of hydraulics? No, I don't have one of those, but I
appreciate the simplicity and reliability of cables. I don't need
self adjustment or extra light feel.

My grip strength is pretty good. I gave up my desk job and retired
at about age 40, and now spend time hobby farming. Anyone who
works on the land is likely to have fairly good grip strength.

You don't consider hydraulics which are used on every single auto in
the world as simplistic and reliable? Just making you think about
what you said.

Simplistic and reliable compared with cable operated bicycle brakes?

No.

Why don't they rely on hydraulics for the handbrake?

--
JS

Hmm, I don't know if a cable operated handbrake is a good example. You never had a frozen cable? I had and that was really a PIA. In all manuals of the cars I had with a cable operated handbrakes it was advised not to use it in wet freezing weather, just put the car in second gear. After my incident I just did that. Never used a handbrake except for getting started on a hill. I don't know how it works in my current car with an automatic transmission but I'm sure there is no cable in there. Anyhow all of my hydraulic disc brakes proved to be extremely reliable, never had any issues with them on three of my bikes. YMMV.
For off road riding in the winter it was quite good today. My cross bike looked like this after todays ride:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZjpqaJLvVsGfqT366

Lou