Old December 15th 19, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bike adjustments

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:46:36 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 13/12/19 10:24 pm, wrote:
On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 6:20:03 AM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 8:07:35 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 12/12/19 3:02 pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
James wrote:

With disc brakes you would only need to flip the axle quick
release and take the wheel out, and not need to fiddle with
the brakes at all.

Yeah, but if I unintentionally squeeze my brake levers on my
canti equipped bike with no wheel installed, it’s a pretty easy
recovery.

It's a non-issue with mechanical disc brakes too.

You might be thinking of hydraulics? I'm not so keen on them,
like I'm not so keen on electronic gear shifting.

Its a 20 second fix, assuming one squeeze is enough to prevent
re-installation of the wheel. I prefer hydraulic to cable discs for
braking feel and the fact that the pads are self-adjusting, but
cables are fine, too - except on my CAADX commuter because of the
long cable run in housing caused a lot of drag, and the return
springs on the BB5 were weak. I definitely prefer hydro discs on
that bike.

-- Jay Beattie.

I bought a cross bike after disks brakes became available for them
(never wanted a crossbike with canti lever brakes; they are really
crap for that kind of riding). First cable disks. Never liked them on
my cross bike. I had more issues with them than I have with my
current hydraulic disks. Never had any issues with these hydraulic
brakes in almost six years now. My 'biggest problem' is breaking in
the pads which is the same for cable discs. I don't understand why
people prefer cable discs on off road bikes for off road riding with
a lot of mud. Glad I'm not hydrau phobic.

Like you said you have to squeeze really hard to get into trouble
reinstalling you wheel and then it is an 20 seconds fix with your
tire lever. It is not something that happens just by accident on a
regular basis.

A phobia of hydraulics? No, I don't have one of those, but I appreciate
the simplicity and reliability of cables. I don't need self adjustment
or extra light feel.

My grip strength is pretty good. I gave up my desk job and retired at
about age 40, and now spend time hobby farming. Anyone who works on the
land is likely to have fairly good grip strength.

--
JS

Retired from your desk job at the age of 40 and hobby farming now? That is remarkable.

Lou