Old August 2nd 13, 06:58 PM posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Max Demian

Default Routemasters (again)

"tim....." wrote in message

Is there any legal requirement for pedestrians to wait while the red
symbol is showing? Or do pedestrians have an unrestricted right to
cross the highway (other than motorways and other restricted use
highways)?

Do you not have jaywalking laws?
We have them here and for the most part they are quite vigorously
enforced.
Truebrit.

Where is here?

Does you name refer to your location or your birthplace (perhaps)?

IME whilst ignoring a red man does constitute jaywalking in the UK, your
chances of being "ticketed" for it are somewhat less than negligible.

My understanding is that jaywalking refers to reckless crossing of the road
by a pedestrian, and wouldn't apply to crossing against a red man if there
is no traffic in sight.

In any case, neither jaywalking, nor crossing against a red pedestrian
signal, is illegal in Britain, and I've never heard of anyone even being
ticked off for it.

OTHO in the US and Germany it is quite possible.

No doubt. In Portugal, a green man doesn't mean that the traffic is held up
for you, just that you have right of way. You still have to check that any
vehicles have time to stop. You have to learn the laws and customs of the
country you are in.

--
Max Demian