Old November 29th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Default Breaking rear axles (was: Getting Stuck Out Someplace)

"Richard Mlynarik" wrote in message

How can a hub possibly "seem stiffer"?
You probably find the axles feel "supple" and "responsive" as well.

Because you can look down at Suzue hubs and see them flex. You can see the
spacers move on the axle.

Anyway, I must have broken at least a dozen Dura Ace rear axles
(and similarly over-priced and sub-functional mis-designed parts
from other brands and lines) back in the day.

Well, I've only broken an axle once and it was on an old Raleigh. Perhaps
even though I'm 6'4" tall and 200 lbs I ride easier than some people?

The solution was the freehub, and has been since the mid 1980s.

I'm not arguing that. But you have to admit that being able to use anyone's
rear hub and anyone's freewheel was a heck of a lot better than having to
match shifters, derailers, freehubs and cassettes.

Get with the program.

I have a Time VX, a Colnago C40, an Eddy Merckx EX, a Basso Loto, a Raleigh
Team Cyclocross, a Look KG 240 - should I go on? My suspicions is that it is
you who needs to get with the program.

And as for how to get home when stuck out in most places:
try to look non-psychotic, take a wheel off your bike (both
to indicate "mechanical problem" and to make the bike less
intimidating baggage), and stick out your thumb.

I suggest you try that sometime when you have a fully loaded touring bike.