Old August 19th 18, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default DH-3N20 bearing adjustment

On 8/18/2018 11:14 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
Steve Weeks wrote:

This video may be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXptXRqxj9c

The narrator simply says, at 13:06, "It's standard cup and cone". The
bearing is standard, but the shell looks a great deal more limber than
a normal slender hub shell.

Experimenting with the adjustment, I stayed with the "finger tight, hold
the cone and set the lock" habit. That preloads the bearing by the axial
clearance of the cone on the threads. The shell has considerably more give
and might warrant more preload than a conventional hub.

There's no cartridge bearing on either side, per the video.

Good video, by the way.

I think your hubshell comments are a red herring to bearing
adjustments. Ignore your theory it's not a factor.

Where you're uncertain about proper bearing adjustment, for
example on a dynamo where the field always feels 'rough',
lock one side as usual but mount that locknut in a vise.
Adjust the other side and check with one hand on the axle,
the other at the rim. Adjust until play is removed.

The principle here is that sideplay causes uneven and more
rapid wear, there being only one ball on each side in
contact at any one time. With proper full contact, wear is
optimized. Overtightening introduces a higher load on the
contact points and should be avoided. For a QR axle, check
adjustment in the bike with QR closed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/