Old October 7th 03, 11:54 AM
W K

Default "The Stability of the Bicycle"

"Benjamin Weiner" wrote in message
news:3f8267c7$1@darkstar...
Peter wrote:
wrote:

TO make the bicycle steer
merely from rake and trail takes a large lean angle and does not
accomplish the same effect. You don't need any esoteric URB's to test
this with your own mount although this may not sound as scientifically
complex, it demonstrates the effects strikingly.

My observations are that either effect could explain the ability to

steer a
bike by making it lean by small amounts while walking so distinguishing
between them would require either constructing a frame/fork with a
different rake/trail geometry to eliminate one effect or canceling the
gyroscopic force to eliminate the other.

May I suggest an experiment? The second gyro wheel is a bit
difficult to set up,

Also, you could get yourself a 1Kg heavier wheel with some lead weights and
some duct tape.