Old April 22nd 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mechanical Efficiency

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 8:54:33 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 10:18:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Huh? These long chains do not have straight runs and in fact near the
back have a rather shorter run to the cogs which always puts them in
more of a sharper angle to the cogset. In other words - you are
always in a more "cross-chained" angle.

There are chain designs which help in such arrangements. This one
seems popular:
http://kmcchain.us/chain/x9-93/
http://t-cycle.com/chain-in-bulk-c-116/bulk-kmc-x993-chain-by-foot-p-35.html

However, if you're looking for the source of chain drag and friction,
just look at what wears on an old chain. It's not the inner or outer
plates, which is what allegedly wears with "bent" chain line. It's
the pin and sleeve that show most of the wear and presumably is the
source of most of the friction. I say presumably because there are
differences in surface hardness, lubrication, cleanliness, etc which
affect wear.
--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

I read and article that tested chains and new they were all equal. But the KMC wore more rapidly and the friction went up faster. Though with the price difference you could buy three KMC chains for one Campy.