Old April 23rd 17, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Mechanical Efficiency

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 00:23:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Nope. Each spring scale would measure the same. If you have two spring
scales at home, you can easily verify this.

I just took several springs and measured the deflections. You're
right which means my explanation is wrong. The last time we had a
similar discussion on bicycle chains, I made the same mistake.
Something is fundamentally wrong with my reasoning. Argh.

First, you can find tables of tensile strength for various sizes of
roller chain. You'll note that the tables don't specify length. That
tensile strength depends on several factors, but not length. If what
you're visualizing were true, they'd have to specify length.

Second, if what you visualize were true, let's take a chain with an
ultimate strength of (say) 5000 pounds. Would that apply to one link
(say, 1/2")? If so, would two links (say, 1") be able to hold 10,000
pounds? Would 10 inches of chain be able to hold 100,000 pounds? Would
100" of chain hold a million pounds? You see that it quickly becomes
absurd.

Good point and I see the problem.

Under static and otherwise ordinary and reasonable conditions, the
length doesn't matter. Tension in a chain is constant over its length.
Same is true for ropes, cables, etc.

Thanks. I'll try not to screw it up again.

My usual off topic Drivel:
How to mount headlights on a front rack:
http://www.cycleexif.com/alex-singer-randonneur
Wide headlight pattern using incandescent lights:
http://www.bicicletasantigas.com.br/arquivos/portal/galeria/pp118.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D