Old December 8th 03, 10:41 PM
OzSkier

Default Need ideas for hill rides

Jess wrote:
I want some ideas for some hill rides - I want around 40-60k. I will be
driving out to the start.. I have been told to avoid Mt Dandenong
Tourist Rd as it will be busy and I know to avoid Melba Highway (lots of
drivers not paying attention to the road)
I will be starting out at either yarra glen or the basin. Im leaning
toward yarra glen at the moment as it has a good bakery (the basin only
has a milk bar)
I have a few ideas already. (All the basin rides I want to
include the 1 in
20) 45k The Basin-Sassafras-Olinda-Monbulk-Mt Evelyn-Kilsyth-The Basin
47k The
Basin-Sassafras-Emerald-Monbulk-Kallista-Sassafras-The Basin 47k The
Basin-Sassafras-Kallista-Emerald-Monbulk-Olinda-Sassafras-The Basin
63k Yarra Glen-Chum Creek-Toolangi-Healesville-Yarra Glen (climbs
Healsville-Toolangi Rd) 60k Yarra Glen-Healesville-Toolangi-Chum
Creek-Yarra Glen (climbs Myers Creek Rd)
What do you think (I am training for the alpine classic 85k)
Also what is "The Wall" I might give it a try (If I knew where it was!)
Jess

Jess,

Did a ride around the Dandenongs on Sunday for the first time with a
friend. Rode out from Ringwood and the first climb he took me up was
"The Wall". That is one hell of a climb. It starts from Monbulk and
you go up Olinda-Monbulk Rd to Olinda. I did it in a 42-23 gear and
was finding it hard to turn the padals at times. Would probably be
much better with a 39 chainring. There's just no taking it easy on
that climb.

We then did the 1/20 which was a lot easier.

Don't know enough about the area to give you any ideas but there's a
really good site that the same friend put me on. www.cycle2max.com has
heaps of hill climbs listed and people (including elite riders) put
their times down for the hill climbs. The 1/20 is featured quite a bit
on that site. Check it out for some ideas.