Old September 12th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport
TMS320

Default Interesting Article On How Cars Took Over the Road

On 12/09/18 09:46, wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:07:55 +0100
TMS320 wrote:
On 11/09/18 14:51,
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 14:30:44 +0100 TMS320 wrote:
On 11/09/18 12:24,
wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:04:56 +0100 "NY" wrote:

Some countries regard crossing the road at anything other than
a designated crossing, or crossing at a red pedestrian light,
as jaywalking - an

No surprise that the anally retentive germans are in that list.

Perhaps they don't die from old age waiting for the lights to
change...

Here in London its obvious who are the tourists or recent
immigrants at the crossings as they
just stand there like pillocks waiting for the green man even if
the road is clear for hundreds of metres in either direction.

Like you in France?

I was talking about crossing busy roads in france, not empty ones.

Depending on layout, local knowledge can be required.

There is a light controlled pedestrian crossing outside my house. This
is a residential road that I don't expect many tourists use it. Some can
be seen to cross without pressing the button, some press the button
before looking and then cross when they see it is clear, some press the
button and stand and wait. I usually cross 25 yards from the crossing.

Drivers stop for red even though they arrive after the person crossing
has long gone.

Unfortunately it would seem most of the crossings in this country have no
pedestrian or traffic detection systems built in or are just poorly
programmed. There's one in my high street that seems to have been programmed
to stay green to traffic when the road is clear but as soon as a car comes
along to switch to red and let the pedestrians cross. But as you say, by this
time the person who pressed the button has already crossed.

The other incomprehensible feature is when there is a delay from the
button press - but the delay is from the press, not from the previous
switch.