Old January 25th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Unnerving braking experiences; sudden braking increase.

In article
.com
,
"ddog" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
I experienced something a bit unnerving yesterday on a
bike I have been riding a couple years. The bike is a
nifty steel sport frame. The brakes are Ultegra 49 mm
reach with Kool Stop pads. On descents I was waiting a
bit longer before braking at turns, using more braking
force, but still using progressive force, rather than
slamming them. At a later point in the brake
application, the braking force suddenly increased
sharply. This happened more than once. Had not seen
this before, and need more experiments. Any comments on
this sketchy account?

Just a guess, but by riding on the brakes it made the (rust pad?) Kool
Stops hot.
They expanded and added pressure to brake surface. Then if they got
slightly cocked
when they were hot, soft, and draging pads the rear pads could catch
and jam the wheel.

It would be logical the rears would heat, expand, and grab more since
the front of the pads
would get direct air cooling.

But that's just a guess. Dragging bike brakes seems dangerous.
Are those Salmon color rust pad Kool Stops? That may have been what
happened to Jobst going
down the Alps. Good experience to pass on. So for cooling the pads, the
AL fins wouldnt' do much since furtherst
away from hot pad surface: air scoops need to divert air on the back of
the pad surfaces on the rear end,
top rear half, and bottom rear half of each pad. Interesting puzzle for
an air dam.

I may be way off, but it sounds logical any way.

Do not top post. I fixed it for you.

In the cases reported I spent _less_ time with the
brakes on. I was not dragging the brakes as you say.

--
Michael Press