Old December 17th 04, 12:32 AM
Peter Cole

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Edgar wrote:

-How do I adjust the brake in such a way that both brakeshoes touch

the rim
at the same time?
-How do I get the left brakeshoe to be positioned further away from

the rim?

It would help to know specifically what brakes you have.

Jim- Derk specifically describes the brakes as "BR-R550" cantilevers.
Here's an exploded view:

http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...ew/BR-R550.pdf

Derk- use the "spring tension adjusting screw" (#2 in the diagram) to
vary the position of the arms in relation to the rim. From your
description, you should tighten the screw on the left side and loosen
the screw on the right side.

However, before you do this, you should insure that the wheel is
correctly dished and that it is completely seated in the dropouts.
Centering the brake should be one of the last adjustments you make.
Jeff

I would add only that you should make sure that the end of the spring on
each arm is plugged into the same hole in the frame boss. There are usually
3 holes, for light, medium and strong settings. Also be sure to grease the
studs.