Old November 21st 19, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin[_2_]

Default Creeping brake pad drag

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019 at 8:35:15 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
On 21/11/19 6:45 am, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/20/2019 1:07 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
I have been riding a gravel bike (Kona Rove NRB DL
https://www.konaworld.com/rove_nrb_dl.cfm) for a year now. It has
developed a tendency to drag the pads of the front brakes against the
disc. I recently had the pads and rotor, front and rear, replaced
(about 5,000 Km of use). As I ride, a noise comes from the front brake
that suggests that the pads are touching the rotor, and it increases
in volume until I "blip" the lever, which makes it go away for maybe
another Km or so--or less.

Has anyone encountered this before? if yes, how did you solve it?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Likely pads are not centered and parallel which is usually obvious on
inspection. Review the setup directions for your brake. Start with the
inner pad adjustment tight, center the caliper to the rotor, secure it
and then do your final adjustment.

Wouldn't they be hydraulic brakes?

Yes, Shimano 105 flat mount calipers and Shimano hydraulic brake levers. The rotors is 160 mm.

I agree with checking that the calipers are properly located on the
mount so that the pads are aligned with the rotor, and I would think
bleeding the brakes might help?

Thanks, and thanks to Andrew Muzi as well.