Old May 31st 19, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Sun protection clothing

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 7:14:02 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2019 14:21:18 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 2:43:08 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 30/05/2019 1:38 p.m., AK wrote:
I would like to see if there is clothing that can provide sun protection while
minimizing sweating and/or allow air flow.

Would also like to do the same with my bike helmet without compromising safety.

Ideas?

Andy

Some people in my club use something like this:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/CA/en_CA/.../p/14371503508

I can't comment on efficacy except to say that they still use them. One
woman has had bouts of skin cancer and says they help.

I have and use the Louis Garneau version of those sleeves and I find they work quite well. I still use sunblock on my legs. I don't know about a cool helmet on hot days but I'd like to get one that doesn't cost over $100.00 CDN.

Cheers

they sell these "sleeves" here and they are worn by many folks working
outside in the sun, not simply cyclists. They work well and I have
several sets. One of which had a more dense cloth on the "top" sides
which is said to make them cooler.

As for legs, I have never found them to get "tanned" simply riding a
bicycle and have never used sunblock on them although I do recommend
sunblock on the face, and neck and particularly on the ears when
riding in hot weather.

--

Cheers,

John B.

Years ago I went on a ride of 100 kms or a bit more. The sun was on the same side both going out and coming back. I got a really bad sunburn on my right side. Since then I've been using sunblock on my legs and arms until I discovered those sunblocking sleeves. Now I just use the sunblock on my legs. For what it's worth, I've never really tanned but I do burn fairly easily if I do not use sunblock or long clothing.

Cheers