Old June 2nd 19, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Sun protection clothing

On Thu, 30 May 2019 16:36:39 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 7:14:02 PM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 30 May 2019 14:21:18 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 2:43:08 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 30/05/2019 1:38 p.m., AK wrote:
I would like to see if there is clothing that can provide sun protection while
minimizing sweating and/or allow air flow.

Would also like to do the same with my bike helmet without compromising safety.

Ideas?

Andy

Some people in my club use something like this:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/CA/en_CA/.../p/14371503508

I can't comment on efficacy except to say that they still use them. One
woman has had bouts of skin cancer and says they help.

I have and use the Louis Garneau version of those sleeves and I find they work quite well. I still use sunblock on my legs. I don't know about a cool helmet on hot days but I'd like to get one that doesn't cost over $100.00 CDN.

Cheers

they sell these "sleeves" here and they are worn by many folks working
outside in the sun, not simply cyclists. They work well and I have
several sets. One of which had a more dense cloth on the "top" sides
which is said to make them cooler.

As for legs, I have never found them to get "tanned" simply riding a
bicycle and have never used sunblock on them although I do recommend
sunblock on the face, and neck and particularly on the ears when
riding in hot weather.

--

Cheers,

John B.

Years ago I went on a ride of 100 kms or a bit more. The sun was on the same side both going out and coming back. I got a really bad sunburn on my right side. Since then I've been using sunblock on my legs and arms until I discovered those sunblocking sleeves. Now I just use the sunblock on my legs. For what it's worth, I've never really tanned but I do burn fairly easily if I do not use sunblock or long clothing.

Cheers

A problem I found with sunblock is that even the stuff that isn't
supposed to wash off does if you ride in 100 degree(F) weather for any
length of time.

I usually start off about daybreak and get home by noon or before
which normally limits my "hot sun" exposure to an hour or so. Another
thing it does is get you out of the town or city before the morning
rush hour.

--

Cheers,

John B.