Old September 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Papai Digital

(Keith Alexander) wrote .com...
I'm doing my first race on 10/3. It's a short cat 5 crit.
I'm unattached. No teammates. Riding an entry lever Trek
road bike.

I've been training and feel strong. I've read a little
about strategy and tactics. I've been eating well
and pretty much doing everything I "know" is correct.

- Your first race you should learn how to follow good wheels, corner
efficiently, and hang with the pack
- what kind of bike you race hardly matters as long as it is
road-race-worthy (safe), is clean, and free of tourist accoutrements
- practice your starts; can you clip in your free foot quickly when
the official blows the whistle?

Can anyone share advice on how to approach the race
from start to finish? Any advice on nutrition the
night before and the morning of?

Nutrition:
- don't be hungover, limit or eliminate wine & beer the night before
- 30 minutes before your race drink some strong coffee and a tasty
powerbar.
- have a nice little warm-up sweat going before the race start
- get to the race at least an hour early

#1 - have fun
#2 - don't do anything stupid
#3 - HANG with the pack!!

Ken