Old February 3rd 21, 06:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default OT: Tommy on Sat photos. Facebook hiding my entries

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:38:02 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 9:35:08 p.m. UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 18:06:26 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 15:47:16 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

There were NO Airforce personnel around where the B52's were dropping
bombs so why are you lying yet again? There were NO Air bases anywhere
near front lines. Also you haven't a clue about the bombing altitude.
When you're stupid you should stop showing it so plainly. There was
a river valley on the 17th parallel and The SAM sites were in that
Valley. Give us some more of your stupid bull**** about what altitude
we bombed from when a B52 was supposed to drop nuclear weapons from
those altitudes and didn't need pinpoint accuracy. A SAM missile
couldn't even reach that high moron.

I don't have a number for the Vietnam Ware era B-52F ceiling. The
earlier B-52B ceiling was 47,300 ft while the later B-52H ceiling was
50,000 ft. Bombing altitude seems to have been around 30,000 ft.
https://www.boeing.com/defense/b-52-bomber/#/technical-specifications

Various V-750 / SA-2 SAM missiles and systems in use had maximum
altitudes of 23,000 meters (75,400 ft) to 35,000 meters (114,000 ft).
I can't tell which V-750 version was in use in Vietnam, but my
guess(tm) is the early ones went to at least 25,000 meters (82,000
ft):
https://military.wikia.org/wiki/S-75_Dvina
It scored the first destruction of an enemy aircraft
by a surface-to-air missile, shooting down a Taiwanese
Martin RB-57D Canberra over China, on October 7, 1959,
hitting it with three V-750 (1D) missiles at an altitude
of 20 km (65,600 ft).

A missile with a maximum altitude of 82,000 ft should have no trouble
hitting an airplane with a ceiling between 47,300 and 50,000 ft.

When I was stationed in N. Thailand the F-105's equipped with missiles
were flying over N. Vietnam apparently hammering missile sites in
support of B-52's raids.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Wild Weasels?

Cheers

Yup, that's what they were called although to be honest that sort of
thing is very much the sort of thing that young pilots talk about. I
never heard any of the ground grunts use the term :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.