Old July 17th 18, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default 29er "pedals easier"

On 2018-07-16 09:25, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/16/2018 11:11 AM, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 7/15/2018 10:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
"Bug Out Bike - Apocalypse Bicycle"
http://www.instructables.com/id/Bug-Out-Bike-Apocalypse-Bicycle/

I like the paint job. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any
advice
suggesting that a 29" wheel was in any way superior to
smaller wheels
for attacking or rolling over zombies. I suspect that the
added
weight of the survivalist junk might ruin any benefits
gained by a few
mm larger diameter tire. According to the movies, dead
zombies will
bleed profusely, which will be too slippery to traverse on
slick
tires. Instead, I recommend tires with some tread.

Or, just build your own 29" zombie crusher from plans:
http://www.atomiczombie.com

I don't really think the idea of a "disaster bicycle" is
really all that good of an idea--but even ignoring
that--running 29" tires would be dumb, since 26" is way more
common.

29" tires are very easy to obtain by now. There is a nice selection of
low cost Asian tires that hold up very well on rocky trails.

I changed my mind about that. 26" seemed to me, a medium sized Italian
guy, about right for offroad/technical riding; lower to the ground,
effectively smaller gearing, shorter top tube and all that. My opinion
changed once I saw a full sized (muscular 6'5") rider on a his new
700-54 Gunnar. That said, women just over five feet who ride in with
whatever new chinese 29-inch thing the local outlet store foisted on her
looks bizarre to me if not dorky.

I am 6'2" and don't feel right on a 26" MTB which I rode before. 29"
large frame but with the stem shortened to 80mm feels perfect. On
pavement it doesn't matter much but on some trails it does.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/