Old January 14th 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Hokey Smoke is it Saturday Already?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 11:00:58 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I have a recipe calling for "Cider Vinegar". Ignoring the
taste is there any difference in acidity between cider vinegar and the
(normal here) 5% acidity vinegar?

Most of the cider vinegar sold here is "diluted with water to a
uniform strength of 5% acidity".

I bought some 12% rice vinegar at Kim's Oriental once, but that's a
two day's drive now and I haven't been able to find any vinegar at
International Foods, so I've been booping up my garlic vinegar with
ascorbic acid.

Malt vinegar (which the dictionary tells me should be called alegar)
is slightly exotic here. Wine vinegar is fairly easy to come by, and
I've found some exotics such as sherry vinegar, mostly at Sherman &
Lin's expired-date grocery. (I find all sorts of neat stuff at
Sherman & Lin's.)

I reserve distilled vinegar (aka "white" vinegar) for cleaning -- and
at least once I've seen it in the cleaning-products aisle. I always
thought it was the vinegar that was distilled, but somewhere or the
other I read that "distilled" means that it's fermented from distilled
spirits.

So I looked it up in Wikipedia. US "distilled" vinegar is made from
pure alcohol; UK distilled vinegar is malt vinegar that has been
distilled to remove the color.

What vinegars are common in Thailand?

--
Joy Beeson