Old August 12th 17, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-12 10:03, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 15:55:02 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

lifting the bike over some low
fences

Exactly how low? I don't think I could lift my bike over a fence much
above knee high, and I can't think of a use for a fence that low --
confining turtles? A symbolic boundary marker?

About 2ft, those orange habitat delimiters. There is construction
pending and they want to keep the bulldozers out of that. As usual,
hikers and cyclist are of zero importance to those folks. This is why it
is good that we have rules in most jurisdictions around here that bike
lanes or paths must be built when new developments go in. Folsom often
even requires class I. If they didn't then the builders would not spend
one red cent on that.

Of course I *am* seventy-six, female, and have a damaged rotator cuff.
But there is also the problem of getting *me* over the fence without
damaging it. When I was eight, I could climb a fence at the corner
post, but at a hundred and sixty-eight pounds, fence-climbing is right
out, unless it is built like a ladder. I think I *have* seen a board
panel in a wire fence, but can't remember when and where.

I am a tad heavier but I have no problem lifting a bike and myself over
a regular cattle fence. Sometimes that is needed when a gate is
recalcitrant (but without trespassing). Or when I have to climb over to
open a latch from the inside to get a runaway farm animal back in.

Chronic rotator cuff issues can prevent that but other than that it's
mostly a matter of training. Being female shouldn't make a difference.
My sister was always the better tree climber compared to us boys.

I will say that around here the road crews are as polite and considerate as possible. Of course they do have a job to complete within their contracted time.