Old May 29th 04, 04:26 AM
S o r n i

Default Ganglian Cyst: A Result of Cycling?

Gary Jacobson wrote:
I wonder if this is amore common problem among cyclists than in the
general population?

Ganglion cysts, it is thought, can arise from tendonitis and
arthritis. I think that the soft tissue in my hands has been stressed
from a relatively large volume of riding this spring. For many years
I've had pain in the area that the cyst has sprouted, and I have
always attributed the pain to riding.

This year I moved away from anatomical bars for aesthetic reasons.
Maybe a dumb move.

No real treatment for it and unfortunately the cyst interferes with
the motion of my thumb and impinges on nerves, and so I think riding
will just makes it worse.

Anyone else had this problem, and did it lead to a change of *cycling
habits*? (It used to be thought that these things could be cured by
hitting them with a bible.
Maybe I need to consult a nun who rides.)

Bang it with a copy of Zinn?

(Actually, I think that /really is/ an accepted treatment for ganglion
cysts -- pound 'em into submission?)

Bill "suggest consulting your doc" S.