Old May 29th 04, 06:42 AM

Default Ganglian Cyst: A Result of Cycling?

On Sat, 29 May 2004 03:45:06 GMT, carlfogel
wrote:

Gary Jacobson wrote:
I wonder if this is amore common problem among cyclists than in the
general population?
Ganglion cysts, it is thought, can arise from tendonitis and arthritis.
I think that the soft tissue in my hands has been stressed from a
relatively large volume of riding this spring. For many years I've had
pain in the area that the cyst has sprouted, and I have always
attributed the pain to riding.
This year I moved away from anatomical bars for aesthetic reasons. Maybe
a dumb move.
No real treatment for it and unfortunately the cyst interferes with the
motion of my thumb and impinges on nerves, and so I think riding will
just makes it worse.
Anyone else had this problem, and did it lead to a change of *cycling
habits*? (It used to be thought that these things could be cured by
hitting them with a bible. Maybe I need to consult a nun who rides.)
Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Dear Gary,

Here's what a doctor pointed out last October when the subject
last came up:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...14e5a004%40po-
sting.google.com&output=gplain

Note the comment about cancer.

He was too tactful to add that misguided patients occasionally break
their own wrists in their enthusiasm.

Carl Fogel

Dear Richard,

So much for the vaunted angled brackets! I was grossly
deceived about their power to contain even the longest url.
(Or the editor that I used added a hyphen and broke the
line.)

Thanks for smacking the swollen address flat with tinyurl.

Carl Fogel