Old July 6th 19, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default So Long Tubulars?

On Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 9:01:22 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/tube...our-de-france/

-- Jay Beattie

I've seen similar stories too. Some YouTube sites say pros are using tubeless. But tubular wheels have one big advantage over clinchers/tubeless. The rim is lighter with tubular wheels. Tubeless wheels are not officially called clinchers anymore I guess. But they are clincher rims and have the sidewall sticking up to grab the tire bead. So the rim is automatically heavier. Many pro bikes are already rubbing the weight limit for how light they can be. And some pros add weight to meet the limit. So weight isn't really the issue. But I have heard and sort of believe that rim weight, wheel weight can be a detriment to bicycling. I doubt the pros want to intentionally handicap themselves by using anything but tubulars. The wheel weight issue is completely irrelevant for everyone else on earth except professional cyclists. For them alone it might matter. Money, fame, glory is involved for them.