View Single Post
Old July 7th 19, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default So Long Tubulars?

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 9:48:43 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
What good is riding the tire without getting flats, if you have to spend more time fooling around with it than if you were getting lots of flats in a conventional system? You're trading the chance of a small inconvenience for the certainty of a larger one.

If your riding time is scarce and precious, but basement lurking time is plentiful, I guess I can see the appeal. You probably won't have to mess with it while you're on the trail. But you will have to mess with it, both when installing the stuff and again every so often when you take out the curds and whey-- and that's true even if you didn't get any punctures at all.

What fooling around with it do you think there is? You tape the rim as normal, you install a tubeless tire normally. You pump the tire up with a standard floor pump. You bleed the air out of it as you would a tube tire to avoid twists in the tube. The single difference is that you then remove the air valve, inject sealant and then replace the air valve before reinflating the tire exactly as always. The tire THEN lasts the life of the sealant for some sorts of sealant or the life of the tire with others.

So explain to us all the messing about that is in some manner worse than having at least three flats per tube and sometimes going through three tubes per tire - especially in Goats Head Thorn season. NO tire I've seen will not be punctured by that sort of thorn. And yet I've pulled several of them out of the tubeless tires simply because I saw them. There was no air loss.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home