Old July 17th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Bicycling specific clothing = why not?

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 9:48:40 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 06:50:26 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 5:58:34 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 12:06:11 +0700, John B. wrote:

As I believe I wrote before, it is probably required by the insurance
company. Just like wearing a life jacket while aboard the crew change
boat although the water is so shallow that you can usually walk ashore.

OTOH, I've seen plenty of incidents with watercraft where wearing a
lifejacket is worthwhile insurance. If it can float a craft, then you
can drown in it and you don't always enter the water in a controlled way.

And, quite often to short circuit any discussion about "I don't need to
wear one over there" the rule is that ALL personal will wear safety
equipment ALL they time they are on the job site. Or words to that
effect.

40,000 pedestrians were killed doing things like walking across parking lots to go to a store. How many people were drowned on watercraft last year?

https://tinyurl.com/yybbuoft

Pedestrian fatalities in the U.S. is holding steady with nearly 6,000
pedestrians killed in 2017, according to estimates from the Governors
Highway Safety Association.

That's a 25-year high, GHSA says. While the rise "appears to be
tapering off," the group said, the "continuation of pedestrian
fatalities at virtually the same pace ... raises continued concerns
about the nation's alarming pedestrian death toll."

Those 6000 pedestrian deaths are compared to about 780 bicycle deaths in 2017.
Yet it's _bicycling_ that's continuously slammed as being dangerous, absolutely
requiring helmets, bright clothing, daytime lights, etc. etc.

- Frank Krygowski