Old May 17th 18, 07:45 AM posted to misc.news.internet.discuss,rec.bicycles.misc
Anssi Saari

Default [M] dockless bikes compete for marketshare

Marko Rauhamaa writes:

Anssi Saari :

In Finland there's now a semi-docked (meaning you can leave a bike
near the dock even if it's full) bike system in the capital Helsinki
and adjacent Espoo. Heavily subsidized by the towns of course but
apparently fairly popular.

I bicycle a lot and see those public bikes all the time. It still
baffles me what the use case is unless you just happen to belong to the
privileged minority that lives or works right next to a dock. Are we
giving a handsome tax subsidy to a handful of lucky winners?

I'm not sure either how much sense this makes but the published stats
for last year seem reasonable. Average 5.6 trips per day per bike, 1.5
million trips total. Average trip 2.2 km.

The price for a user is also ridiculously low, 30 ¤ gives unlimited max
30 minute rides for the whole season. Oh and the bikes have ads so it's
not completely tax subsidized. Come to think of it, I wonder how much
information the advertisers get. The bikes have GPS of course and the
system knows who rented which bike...

Getting there by car is ok, but where would you park? There's no free
parking in my current employment, and the city won't even allow you to
park for a whole working day but makes to pay for the spot in 4-hour
segments (at ¤2/hr).

Well, yes, I'd never come by car if I didn't have a parking spot which
my employer provides.