Old November 13th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default LA Beats Out London, NY & All Other Cities In N. America & W.Europe for "Soul Destroying" Traffic

On 11/13/18 2:36 AM, JNugent wrote:
Bucharest seemed even more congested with long periods of traffic at a
standstill.

Never been there. Almost certainly never will.

If you get lost and go there please don't use a car if you want to get
anywhere.

I was again in Paris about 6 years ago, and what a transformation! There
seemed to be far fewer cars (whether they are officially discouraged I
don't know) and the drivers seemed much more courteous; waving others
on, giving way often and all that. Traffic lights were rather
irrelevant; cars, pedestrians, bicyclists etc just looked out for each
other and arranged themselves and generally went happily on their way.
And I could cross the Champs-Élysées and Place de l'Étoile on foot;
certainly not possible in 1973.

Go in August. It's a joy when so much of the traffic is on holiday, and
I expect that all the blue-marked "payant" spaces are still free in August.

I was there in June. No problems with traffic. Sure, red lights are just
for decoration, but everyone courteously looks out for everyone.