Old May 8th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-05-08 08:49, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 7:18:39 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote: snip

[...]

Once again, we're talking about a scuffed road tire and not some
epic smashing of a MTB tire on rocks. You're talking about
riding a scuffed tire as terribly dangerous, yet every story is
about exploding tires on gnarly trails and physical conditions
that tax ordinary bicycles. For you, maybe a scuff is fatal. On
a normal road bike not so much.

Yeah, right. As a kid I had a front blow-out in a tunnel on the way
back home from school. Just a normal paved road. Narrow one-lane
tunnel and I wanted to beat the traffic light that guided
direction. The long descent before the tunnel helped me get to
speed. I must have hit some sort of pothole in the fairly dark
tunnel ... *KAPOW* ... I did come out of that tunnel but separated
from my road bike and the school pack came rolling out last
according to the first driver waiting at the light on the other
side. The front tire had popped. For a few days I had to sleep on
one side because the other hurt a lot.

So what? You blew a tire in a pot hole. I'm not getting how this
illustrates anything except how lucky you were that you didn't go
OTB
-- the usual consequence of hitting a pot hole at high speed. What
are you suggesting here -- solid tires?

Tires with proper side walls. That's what blew out in the tunnel.

Again, I don't care whether you, Doug or others use Gatorskins with
compromised side walls. It's your lives. Here at our house they are
banned and will no longer be purchased.

Yeah but your evidence seems flawed. You're saying that you careem
downhill at speed on a road bike into a dark tunnel, hit a pothole
blowing a tire and crash and it's the tire's fault?

It wasn't a major pothole and I expect from any road vehicle that it
is able to handle ... roads.

Don't try driving on Quebec roads then. Hitting a pothole around here
can bust a tie rod. Been there, done that. There's even a law that
excludes the municipality from liability in that case. What world do
you live in where equipment can take any abuse you throw at it?

I didn't say "any", I said "road". It was in Germany where
municipalities were responsible to a non-fixed major hole if
negligence could be proven. At least back then.

Well they are responsible here if you can prove that they knew about it
and failed to repair it. Good luck with that. So you are saying you
think a car should not be damaged by hitting potholes on a road?

Not by that shallow one. I went in there and looked, mainly to see if
other stuff had flown off that I'd want to collect. The tunnel had a
small sidewalk. It still seems to be there, middle of the picture, under
the rail lines, I came in from the west when it happened:

https://goo.gl/maps/EUhHSoUqo2t

Anyway, what you described is reckless behavior, even if you now say
that it wasn't a big pothole.

Going through a tunnel on a road bike is not reckless, it is called
riding. The road isn't very steep but enough to get to a good speed.

You said you were going through a dark tunnel at speed and hit a pothole
you didn't see:

direction. The long descent before the tunnel helped me get to
speed. I must have hit some sort of pothole in the fairly dark
tunnel ... *KAPOW* ... I did come out of that tunnel but

Is speed prohibited on a road bike? Is using it in the dark prohibited?

... Maybe the hill wasn't that steep and the
tunnel not that dark. Stick with your Chinese import tires if you like
but quick complaining about it.

Not Chinese, I tried CST and it's thumbs down. Thailand makes better
tires IMO. On the MTB they have proven themselves very well. Got one
on the road bike now and a few more are coming. So far I am impressed.
Despite some gravel road exposure no side wall damage at all.

So if you're happy about your tires why do you keep complaining?

What complaining? All I said is that I find Gatorskin tires to be of
inferior quality in their side walls and I stand by that opinion. Others
are better, way better. Heck, even the cheap CST Conquistares were.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/