Old September 17th 18, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW ?(IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 6:40:55 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 12:23:59 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:24:11 -0700 (PDT), sltom992 wrote:

In New York City the daily trips depend heavily upon weather but have a high of around 62,000 trips PER DAY.

In New York city there are over 5 million people ride the transit
network each weekday. So, 62,000 / 5 million = 1.2%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...City#Ridership

I'm not arguing that this isn't appallingly low, especially after two generations (since Rachel Carson, the patron of genocides) of the uninformed political or simply lying Left using underhand methods ("all scientists agree that there is global warming and that man is responsible" -- Christ on a stick!) to make anyone in a car feel like a Gaia-rapist.

However, in terms of levels of bicycle use only a decade or two ago, those are impressive strides that commuter and shopping cycling have made, in some places at least, and actually rather quickly.

I'm always amazed at how laughably soon the most unsmilingly earnest campaigners expect people to change their minds and even their behavior. Any psychologist who deals with mass markets knows that most people vote for the party their parents voted for but only just possibly not for the party that earned their grandparents' adherence -- and that is after admitting that there is now a larger unaffiliated group (the "undecideds" on political polls) who in fact determine the destiny of everyone, which is why so much effort is directed at them.

Andre Jute
I'm impressed, Tom, even if the "spokesmen for bicycles" aren't

At present, during commute hours, ALL of the BART trains are filled to the brim. Since most of San Francisco is not within walking distance of the BART, quite a few bicycles use the BART as well. But because of the crowding although the people are exceedingly polite there is growing discomfort with bicycles taking up three or more standing spaces.

The three major bridges, The Carquinez, Oakland/San Franciso and San Mateo bridges do not allow bicycles, Though HALF of the O/SF bridge presently has a bike path to Treasure Island. And there is talk of extending it in some manner to San Francisco. This would be a big boost for bicycling since the distance is only about 10 miles and San Francisco is a relatively though vertically challenging destination. Perhaps one of these days the loony tunes companies will actually think, "Gee, maybe we ought to site our companies much nearer our workers."